Popular Posts

My Shelf

Isela's bookshelf: read

To Kill a Mockingbird
Looking for Alaska
The Hobbit
An Abundance of Katherines
Anna and the French Kiss
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Horns
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Lightning Thief
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Killer Instinct
Paranoia
The Battle of the Labyrinth
'Salem's Lot
The Last Olympian
Eva Luna
Twilight
The House of the Spirits


Isela's favorite books »

About

I'm not a big fan of social networks. I'm a big believer in keeping things to yourself, privacy is important, it makes things special. However, I'm a huge literature fan. I'm always reading! And lately, I've discovered that I have too many ideas about books I've read that I can't share with anybody in real life. And it is not until I've put those ideas into sentences and paragraphs that I can continue successfully with my life. So, it's OK if no one reads this, and it's OK if someone reads and comments on this. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of some of my ideas :) Book recommendations are well received!
Powered by Blogger.
Monday, September 15, 2014
Just a random post on a random night when the most impressive headache (caused by a toothache) has taken over my life.

Books I've read more than once:

  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Once upon a time I was taking a Comparative Literature class where we read The Catcher in the Rye. By that time I was reading (or had just finished) Perks and I found both of them to be very similar, so I decided to write one of my papers comparing them... So I had to reread it.
  • Looking for Alaska - John Green. I love the book, what can I say? It hurts more the second time around, btw...
  • The Fault in Our Stars - John Green. I love this one too... I read it for the first time on February, 2013, second time February, 2014 and third time on May, 2014 right before the movie. I think the second and third time hit me harder than the first.
  • A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams. OK, maybe it is just a play and not a book, but gosh I love TW! And Blanche has to be my most favorite crazy character ever! and the movie? Like have you seen Marlon Brando as Stanley?
Books I've read, but want to read again:

  • Brave New World - Aldous Huxley. I read that in weird class in the university... I remember it was weird, but I don't remember very well.
  • Viaje al Reino de los Deseos - Rafael Angel Herra. I've always been a nerd, and I read all of the books that were assigned to me in high school (while most of my classmates just read the summaries, which weren't easy to get because it wasn't that easy to get internet back then... I'm not that old, I promise) or just watched the movie. With the exception of "Marianela" and like 75% of "Don Quixote" I read EVERY single book assigned. And this was one of my favorites. I think that if I read it, it will bring back memories.
  • Anna and the French Kiss -  Stephanie Perkins. I read this last year, and I read Lola and the Boy Next Door this year... and I have to get Isla and the Happily Ever After!!!! But, I don't remember much about Anna. I do remember crying a lot :S 
  • Twilight - Stephenie Meyers. Shut up!
  • Horns - Joe Hill. The movie's coming up!!! I have to reread it before it so I can point out everything that's wrong with it and annoy the poor, poor soul that accompanies me to the movies!! :)
adorable
  • The Percy Jackson series - Rick Riodan. Just because! :P
  • The Hobbit - J.R.R Tolkien. The last movie is coming and I barely remember a thing! It's been like three years since I read it.
  • The Silver Lining Playbook - Matthew Quick. I loved this book when I read it, I just feel like reading it again. It is so much better than the movie (and the movie has Bradley Cooper!)
Books I've started but not finished

  •  Dracula - Bram Stoker. Not my fault, though. I started it when I was living in Pittsburgh and half way through it I left to go to Miami (visiting relatives) and then back home... I had no time to read!
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde. I don't know what happened. I have no recollection of it whatsoever. But I'm sure I started it!
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie. I couldn't... Just too annoying! "Smile" "Care about what people say" "Learn people's names" I tried, I really did, but it was just too much not me...
  • Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky. The gods know I've tried hard with this one. I've tried three times, because it is my mom's favorite book and she bought it for me. But it is just too slow and boring at the beginning that I don't get too far before forgetting about it. I'll try again in December.
  • A Simple Plan - Scott B. Smith. I got it from the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh, but I didn't finish it and took it back after renewing it twice. It was boring, or just didn't get into it at the time.
Books I've put in my "read-before-the-year-ends" list 

  • Isla and the Happily Ever After - Stephanie Perkins
  • A Long Way Gone - Ishmael Beah
  • We were Liars - E. Lockhart
  • Let It Snow - John Green with Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle
  • The Road - Cormac McCarthy
  • Hollow City - Ransom Riggs
  • Dracula - Bram Stocker
  • Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  • Where She Went - Gayle Forman
  • The Dead Zone - Stephen King
  • The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler
  • Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn (This is gonna be a movie, whaaat?! with NPH?! a must-see!)
  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - James Thurber
  • Breakfast At Tiffany's - Truman Capote
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
I feel so happy when I write/think about books... my headache is almost gone!
  Any recommendations?

0 comments: