Popular Posts

My Shelf

Isela's bookshelf: read

To Kill a Mockingbird
Looking for Alaska
The Hobbit
An Abundance of Katherines
Anna and the French Kiss
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Horns
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Lightning Thief
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Killer Instinct
Paranoia
The Battle of the Labyrinth
'Salem's Lot
The Last Olympian
Eva Luna
Twilight
The House of the Spirits


Isela's favorite books »

About

I'm not a big fan of social networks. I'm a big believer in keeping things to yourself, privacy is important, it makes things special. However, I'm a huge literature fan. I'm always reading! And lately, I've discovered that I have too many ideas about books I've read that I can't share with anybody in real life. And it is not until I've put those ideas into sentences and paragraphs that I can continue successfully with my life. So, it's OK if no one reads this, and it's OK if someone reads and comments on this. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of some of my ideas :) Book recommendations are well received!
Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Book Info

Name: Reclaiming the Sand
Author: A. Meredith Walters
Date of publication: March 17th, 2014



Reclaiming the Sand is wonderful. I didn’t think the main character Ellie was annoying or unreal, as I read in some comments. I actually felt that she is one of the most transparent characters I’ve stumbled upon lately. She is messed up and confused and she regrets a lot of things. But she is also only a person. She has the right to be or feel like that. I love how she cares about her friends, even though they are sucky friends. 
Flynn is just adorable. I read some comments that said that he is the only reason some people like the novel, or were able to finish reading it. He is likable and interesting and he is the one that helps Ellie through her problems. But I believe that it is Ellie herself who pushes through all the mess that is around her. 
Flynn reminded me of the movie Adam (with Hugh Dancy *fangirling*) which is about a boy with Asperger who kinda falls in love with a girl (I watched it a long time ago and don't remember very well). I have always been interested in Asperger. I think Autism is fascinating, but in the good way. I find very interesting the fact that the brain can control our lives so much. It is amazing how Ellie can deal with Flynn's characteristics so well. I'm inclined to think that it is because they were friends when they were younger and, even though, she bullied him most of the times, she liked him and enjoyed being around him and didn't care about the weird things he did: like counting the seconds to get to his house or telling the truth with no filter.
I also liked that the author used to be a counselor for kids with problems, just like Julie Waterman! This gives me the peace of mind to know that she actually knows what she's writing about.
Dania is a shitty friend and I hated her most of the novel. She is just one of those people we get to know in real life that we just want to shake and fix their lives. But at the end, she is just human. Human beings are like that, messed up and selfish and awful. I was surprised and happy at the end of the book when she decided to give Brandon in adoption. I think that was really big of her.
This has been one of my favorite books this year. And while I didn't really cry while reading it (which for me is a big sign of loving a book!!), I enjoyed it and I have been thinking about it a lot since I finished it.



Rating: ★★★★★
Favorite character: Ellie
Favorite secondary character: Murphy (OMG!! At the moment Flynn told Ellie his dog had died I knew Murphy was going to end up in Flynn's house... I just thought Ellie was going to think about it before he went to he shelter.)
Favorite part: There are a lot of parts I really, REALLY liked, but I think the moment when Ellie goes to Flynn's and finds Murphy there, they play together and then they lie on the grass (yay, Flynn!) and then kiss... that's my fave part :3
Favorite quote:
“Some people came into your life and they changed it completely and then they slipped out of it again before you could grab ahold of them. And their presence motivates you and strengthens you and devastates you all at the same time.”
Least favorite character: Dania... and Ellie a little bit. OK, confusing. Let me explain. I hated Dania most of the book, she was poisonous for Ellie. But I also despised  Ellie for giving in to Dania's plans every time! It was really annoying.
Least favorite part: Pretty much every chapter that was from Flynn's POV. The bullying was just heartbreaking. It made me hate Dania (even more), Stu and Shane!



0 comments: