Popular Posts

My Shelf

Isela's bookshelf: read

To Kill a Mockingbird
Looking for Alaska
The Hobbit
An Abundance of Katherines
Anna and the French Kiss
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Horns
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Lightning Thief
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Killer Instinct
Paranoia
The Battle of the Labyrinth
'Salem's Lot
The Last Olympian
Eva Luna
Twilight
The House of the Spirits


Isela's favorite books »

About

I'm not a big fan of social networks. I'm a big believer in keeping things to yourself, privacy is important, it makes things special. However, I'm a huge literature fan. I'm always reading! And lately, I've discovered that I have too many ideas about books I've read that I can't share with anybody in real life. And it is not until I've put those ideas into sentences and paragraphs that I can continue successfully with my life. So, it's OK if no one reads this, and it's OK if someone reads and comments on this. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of some of my ideas :) Book recommendations are well received!
Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Book Info

Name: Hopeless (Hopeless #1)
Author: Colleen Hoover
Date of publication: May, 2013
Synopsis: Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…
That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever. [From Goodreads.com]



My gods, it has never been this difficult to rate a book!
Here's the thing, my expectations for this book were really high. I've heard quite a bit about Hoover, so I thought her books were amazing, I thought she was the female John Green of my life.
But I was wrong. Let me talk about what I hated first, and then about what I liked.
-First, the first 55% of the book was terribly slow. There were so many things that I could've done without. I was very tempted to put the book down and start a new one.
-Second, does she even need friends? What's the point of having Six? or the mormon guy? Honestly the story focuses so, so much on Sky/Hope and Holder, that the rest is so unnecessary that makes the first part of the book very boring.
-Third, their names. OMG, I can't handle it. Hope... they literally and figuratively lost hope *facepalm* and Sky! 'cause she's out there... and don't get me started with Holder. Too much cheesy.
-Fourth, I wanted so hard to punch myself in the face every time he called her 'baby' or 'babe' that it's a miracle I'm bruise-free right now. I think I'll add the sex (or almost sex) scenes here, kinda related. There were some parts that make me feel like I was reading a teenage version of Fifty Shades of Grey. Honestly, I couldn't have gotten any worse. Terrible, just... no. Of course I understood at the end why all the sex (or almost sex) was relevant for the plot. But I found it kinda disgusting.
-Lastly, the plot. I get it, I really do... It is just something that I don't particularly enjoy reading about. And those plot twists. No, I won't even comment on them.

What I liked:
-Holder's texts. Very, very (like seriously VERY) deep in my heart I liked Holder. I didn't love him (or live him), but he was not annoying (most of the time). But those texts were something I would love to have in a relationship.
- "Chapter breaks." I didn't enjoy the plot, but Colleen Hoover has a really nice way to write. It was fresh and interesting. And OK, maybe some parts got a little bit intense (there were things that absolutely no teenager is going to say... not even a very mature adult.), but the writing was funny and sweet and engaging (otherwise I would've put it down around 40% in). I think it is because of the way the book's written that I'll give Colleen Hoover another chance.
-The ending. It made me cry!! If you'd told me when I was halfway through the book, that I'd cry at the ending... I'd have called you a liar! Who would've thought?! Maybe I didn't like the story, but I loved the ending. What can I say? I'm a sucker for happy endings ;)



Rating: (most difficult decision... I think the first 55% deserves one star, but the last part gets considerably good... so I'm thinking 2 and a half stars.) Favorite character: Ugh... a tie between Sky and Holder. Not that they're characters that I'll hold dear in my heart forever, but...
Favorite part: Is it bad that I can't think  of any part that I really loved?
Favorite quote“It's real, Six. You can't get mad at a real ending. Some of them are ugly. It's the fake happily ever afters that should piss you off."
Least favorite character: Well, the obvious, you know? Her dad
Least favorite part: When she remembers what her father did to her... and how they kept bringing up right before they had sex... eww...
Would I read it again? Probably not. I'll try other Colleen Hoover books, though.

0 comments: