Popular Posts

My Shelf

Isela's bookshelf: read

To Kill a Mockingbird
Looking for Alaska
The Hobbit
An Abundance of Katherines
Anna and the French Kiss
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Horns
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Lightning Thief
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Killer Instinct
Paranoia
The Battle of the Labyrinth
'Salem's Lot
The Last Olympian
Eva Luna
Twilight
The House of the Spirits


Isela's favorite books »

About

I'm not a big fan of social networks. I'm a big believer in keeping things to yourself, privacy is important, it makes things special. However, I'm a huge literature fan. I'm always reading! And lately, I've discovered that I have too many ideas about books I've read that I can't share with anybody in real life. And it is not until I've put those ideas into sentences and paragraphs that I can continue successfully with my life. So, it's OK if no one reads this, and it's OK if someone reads and comments on this. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of some of my ideas :) Book recommendations are well received!
Powered by Blogger.
Friday, February 27, 2015
Book info


Picture from Amazon.com
Title: Sickened: The True Story of a Lost Childhood
Author: Julie Gregory [http://juliegregorysickened.com/]
Date of publication: September, 2004
SynopsisA young girl is perched on the cold chrome of yet another doctor's examining table, missing yet another day of school. Just twelve, she's tall, skinny, and weak. It's four o'clock, and she hasn't been allowed to eat anything all day. Her mother, on the other hand, seems curiously excited. She's about to suggest open-heart surgery on her child to 'get to the bottom of this.' She checks her teeth for lipstick and, as the doctor enters, shoots the girl a warning glance. This child will not ruin her plans. From early childhood, Julie Gregory was continually X-rayed, medicated, and operated on in the vain pursuit of an illness that was created in her mother's mind. Munchausen by Proxy (MBP) is the world's most hidden and dangerous form of child abuse, but Julie Gregory not only survived, she escaped the powerful orbit of her mother's madness and rebuilt her identity as a vibrant, healthy young woman:not solely a victim of child abuse. [From Goodreads]

Right, so while reading this book my most frequent question was: What's the difference between a memoir and an autobiography? Yeah, I know... I was really into the book *rolls eyes for the people who didn't catch the sarcasm*
It was not boring, and it wasn't quite interesting. It was just there in between...
Obviously I was shocked to learn about Munchausen by Proxy. What a cruel and twisted way to destroy a kid, right? Super scary, if you take into account that doctors trust the mother to tell what the kid is feeling... but it is even scarier to think that kids actually begin to develop some of the symptoms so that the limit between what is made up and what is real becomes blurry.
But I felt cheated while reading the book. Yes, she had a crazy mother who took her to doctors all the time and gave her medicine she didn't need. And yes, that's freaking twisted and stupid and scary. But her childhood sucked mainly because she lived in an abusive environment. Her parents hated each other, they fought constantly, never showed love in a normal way and hit her! So yeah, she suffered because of the MPB, but also because she had sucky parents... which, for me is a huge part of the problem, and was not mentioned anywhere when advertising the book.
Now, don't get me wrong, I felt sick and sad when I read what she went through. But the book title and description made it sound like she was amazing because she beat MBP when really she overcame her past with shitty parents. I don't know if I'm making myself clear...
Anyway, memoirs/autobiographies are not my cup of tea, so that might just be the reason I didn't particularly enjoyed this book.


Rating:
[Not going to include characters because it feels weird, them being real people and stuff...]
Favorite part: When Danny was born, you know? and everybody felt happy for a while and she stopped being sick...
Favorite quote:
“Books are my friends, where it's okay to be silent, where you're not a freak if you don't want to get drunk, peel out in the parking lot, tip cows.”
Least favorite part: The surgery. When they cut her thigh and she saw the whole thing. I think that was when she first said that her mom was making everything up. Also, what the fuck with the Kleenex eating part?!
Would I read it again? Yeah... probably not.

According to writersdigest.com/ the difference between a memoir and an autobiography is mainly that an autobiography includes your whole life, while the memoir is only one part of it. :D Mystery solved.

0 comments: