Popular Posts

My Shelf

Isela's bookshelf: read

To Kill a Mockingbird
Looking for Alaska
The Hobbit
An Abundance of Katherines
Anna and the French Kiss
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Horns
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Lightning Thief
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Killer Instinct
Paranoia
The Battle of the Labyrinth
'Salem's Lot
The Last Olympian
Eva Luna
Twilight
The House of the Spirits


Isela's favorite books »

About

I'm not a big fan of social networks. I'm a big believer in keeping things to yourself, privacy is important, it makes things special. However, I'm a huge literature fan. I'm always reading! And lately, I've discovered that I have too many ideas about books I've read that I can't share with anybody in real life. And it is not until I've put those ideas into sentences and paragraphs that I can continue successfully with my life. So, it's OK if no one reads this, and it's OK if someone reads and comments on this. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of some of my ideas :) Book recommendations are well received!
Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, February 15, 2015
Book Info

Name: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Date of publication: September, 2011
Synopsis: Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed.
There is.
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong. [From Goodreads.com]

Alright... I'd seen this book a thousand times before in Goodreads, but I never thought about reading it, though the cover looked incredible. I needed a book whose title started with "U" for the Valentine's challenge and ended up reading it.
Which was great at the beginning. I loved the story! I liked Mara and I loved the fact that there was something creepy going on with her. I really, really wanted to know how she had killed her friends (and fucking Jude).
For me, it's an exciting story.
My only problem is the ending; well, the part right before the ending, say the last 15% of it. When she realizes what she does and tells Noah and he tells her of his "thing" (Mara's words). It becomes kind confusing... There were complete paragraphs that I had to reread (several times, often) because I simply didn't get what she was saying or what was happening. Like what happened with Lassiter? What was his deal with Joseph? I don't know... that part was weird, and it felt like an incomplete subplot (one of many).
Oh, and it was so weird to have the story settled in Miami o.O Not that it was wrong... I just thought people wouldn't write a complete story in Miami. It worked well, though...
I was OK with Mara. I read some people compared her with Bella Swan. But I'd probably be freaking out over the fact that people are dying because of me and  hide in my room... wouldn't you? I didn't find her annoying (enough for me to hate). EXCEPT!!! why do YA lit female leaders feel they're not enough for or deserve the love of their male counterparts!? That's making me lose it... All.Of.Them! Be selfish for fuck's sake! I do not want to read about another relationship in which the girl thinks it is better to let the boy go than to hurt him (and at the end we all learn he wouldn't have been hurt!) because they are oh, so dangerous! *pointing finger, threatening all YA lit writers*
Now, Mr. Shaw. I liked him. I do have a thing for perfect boys in this kind of books... Though he was a little slutty. But it is not proven. See Anna's example. And I really don't care (I do care in real life, but not when it is a work of fiction, even though sometimes it does not feel like that at all). Also, he says "I'm just not that big of a person.”:P Not my favorite character of all times, but he's interesting
I am quite intrigued about Jude, though... when I read that last part of the book... I spent around 4 minutes what-the-fucking in my mind. Great cliffhanger, I think.

Rating:
Favorite character:
Mara
Favorite secondary character: OMG, I love Joseph!!!
Favorite part: This is going to sound nerdy, but one of my favorite parts of the book was when Mara freaking nailed the Spanish oral exam: "'I'm not finished,' I said again, delighted by my own audacity." 
Favorite quote“In my rush, I hadn’t tied my shoelaces. Noah was now tying them for me.
He looked up at me through his dark fringe of lashes and smiled. The expression on his face melted me completely. I knew I had the goofiest grin plastered on my lips, and didn’t care.
“There,” he said as he finished tying the laces on my left shoe. “Now you won’t fall.”
Too late.”
Least favorite character: Ummm....
Least favorite part: The part when they have to cross a lake filled with FREAKING ALLIGATORS!!!! I hate those animals, I almost died reading that scene :(
Would I read it again? Maybe...?

0 comments: