Popular Posts

My Shelf

Isela's bookshelf: read

To Kill a Mockingbird
Looking for Alaska
The Hobbit
An Abundance of Katherines
Anna and the French Kiss
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Horns
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Lightning Thief
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Killer Instinct
Paranoia
The Battle of the Labyrinth
'Salem's Lot
The Last Olympian
Eva Luna
Twilight
The House of the Spirits


Isela's favorite books »

About

I'm not a big fan of social networks. I'm a big believer in keeping things to yourself, privacy is important, it makes things special. However, I'm a huge literature fan. I'm always reading! And lately, I've discovered that I have too many ideas about books I've read that I can't share with anybody in real life. And it is not until I've put those ideas into sentences and paragraphs that I can continue successfully with my life. So, it's OK if no one reads this, and it's OK if someone reads and comments on this. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of some of my ideas :) Book recommendations are well received!
Powered by Blogger.
Friday, February 6, 2015
Book Info

Name: The Kite Runner
Author: Khaled Hosseini

Date of publication: April, 2004
Synopsis: Amir is the son of a wealthy Kabul merchant, a member of the ruling caste of Pashums. Hassan, his servant and constant companion, is a Hazara, a despised and impoverished caste. Their uncommon bond is torn by Amir's choice to abandon his friend amidst the increasing ethnic, religious, and political tensions of the dying years of the Afghan monarchy, wrenching them far apart. But so strong is the bond between the two boys that Amir journeys back to a distant world, to try to right past wrongs against the only true friend he ever had.

The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father’s servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies.



Where do I start with this book? I've heard it was good, really good, but I didn't know what it was about... so I took a risk and bought it. An even bigger risk was to read it. I was only on page 100 and I'd cried twice! :(
There are a lot of horrible things that happen on the book, things that I'm grateful to know that I've never lived through: war and destruction, the fear of losing everything. But I think the way is portrayed in this book is very cruel. We don't see it happening (which we know, which is what the news show us, right?), we see the aftermath through Amir's eyes. He escaped all that, but ended up being worse when he had to go back to it.
Also, there's the whole issue of regret. Don't we have that something we regret doing? Little or big, is there, I'm sure. I'm also sure that we all try to forget it, like Amir did, throw it in the river and let it sink. Rahim was right, he was just a kid and he was too hard on himself. But I think what makes me like the book is that at the end, he discover that no matter how badly he hurt others and himself, no matter how many times he wished he had done things differently, there's forgiveness, there's a moment in which everything will be OK again. But we do have to fight and suffer and learn important lessons to get there.
Wow, I'm so depressed right now...

 
Rating: (For me, the book's extremely good, even if I read very bad reviews about it... but I'm giving four stars because it is so sad! and I don't enjoy sad books like these)
Favorite character:
Amir
Favorite secondary character: Hassan!
Favorite part: Ugh, how difficult! I think I liked when Amir met Soraya and his Baba went to ask for her hand in his name. Also, when he finally found Sohrab :)
Favorite quote"She said, 'I'm so afraid.' And I said, 'why?,' and she said, 'Because I'm so profoundly happy, Dr. Rasul. Happiness like this is frightening.' I asked her why and she said, 'They only let you be this happy if they're preparing to take something from you.” 
Least favorite character: Assef...
Least favorite part: Every time he remembers all the cruel things he did to Hassan when they were kids. Also, when the period of time between when he found Sohrab and when he finally took him to America.
Would I read it again? *sigh* I don't know...  

0 comments: