Popular Posts

My Shelf

Isela's bookshelf: read

To Kill a Mockingbird
Looking for Alaska
The Hobbit
An Abundance of Katherines
Anna and the French Kiss
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Horns
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Lightning Thief
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Killer Instinct
Paranoia
The Battle of the Labyrinth
'Salem's Lot
The Last Olympian
Eva Luna
Twilight
The House of the Spirits


Isela's favorite books »

About

I'm not a big fan of social networks. I'm a big believer in keeping things to yourself, privacy is important, it makes things special. However, I'm a huge literature fan. I'm always reading! And lately, I've discovered that I have too many ideas about books I've read that I can't share with anybody in real life. And it is not until I've put those ideas into sentences and paragraphs that I can continue successfully with my life. So, it's OK if no one reads this, and it's OK if someone reads and comments on this. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of some of my ideas :) Book recommendations are well received!
Powered by Blogger.
Friday, March 13, 2015

Book Info

Author: Federico Moccia [http://www.federicomoccia.it/]
Title: Scusa ma ti chiamo amore (=Sorry if I call you love) [Scusa ma ti chiamo amore #1]
libri.rizzoli.rcslibri.it
Date of publication: February, 2007
Synopsis: Niki es una joven madura y responsable que cursa su último año de secundaria. Alessandro es un exitoso publicista de 37 años a quien acaba de dejar su novia de toda la vida. A pesar de los 20 años de diferencia que hay entre ambos y del abismo generacional que los separa, Niki y Alessandro se enamorarán locamente y vivirán una apasionada historia de amor en contra de todas las convenciones y prejuicios sociales. [From https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3421805-perdona-si-te-llamo-amor ...sorry, I couldn't find it in English]


This is definitely not my kind of book. So why did I read it? Basically because every.single.time I went to the library (which is quite often) I saw these pretty little books with really catchy covers and I got curious. I was kinda tired of the kind of books I read last month (YA lit, which I love but can be seriously infuriating when read in big amounts), so I figured I changed my style for a bit.
Anyway, this is an Italian book that I read in Spanish and am going to review in English *brain explodes*
I honestly thought for a while that this book was going to get five stars. But there were several things that I just hated. Let me write first about why I loved the book.
Alessandro is adorable! He's broken-hearted and when he meets Niki he's so afraid because their 'love' is fragile.
Niki might not be the most realistic character ever, but she's kinda crazy (not Olly-crazy, but still) and somebody that I'd like to have as a friend. Oh, and don't make me LOL about the fact that they all passed their exams after all the partying they did! Though, I got it... work of fiction. Anyway, Niki, yeah.... I liked her :) La chica de los jazmines.
There are a lot of little situations that are extremely romantic and cheesy... and I absolutely loved that! You know how Olive/Emma Stone talks about having this perfect movie-like romance in the Easy A movie?
imgarcade.com
Well, I want a book-like romance... Jeez, I just puked in my mouth a little bit. But it's the truth! Alex and Niki had the most romantic love story ever! Until he fucked up, but I'll talk about that in a second.
When they prepared a little (or big) surprise for each other?! That was incredible cute, for example, Alessandro's birthday :D or Niki's birthday :3 *swooning*
I liked the relationship they had with their friends: Alex with Enrico, Pietro and Flavio, and Niki with the "Olas" (what is it, Waves? I don't know...).
The writing was like a 50/50. I don't really enjoy reading in Spanish, but since the book was originally written in Italian, I thought Spanish was more appropriate. I liked some of the parts, but some others where just too much blah, blah, blah... 
I freaking hated Elena... omg, I hated her so much! Throughout the whole novel, she just annoyed the hell out of me. And she was present in just two chapters or so. How dare she come back! How dare she mess with Alex's feelings! How dare she have an affair with Marcello! I'm so angry. But what makes me even angrier is that Alex took her back in a heartbeat! How dare he! I hated him so freaking much!
wereallmadherebookblog.wordpress.com
 You know, if I were Niki, I wouldn't have taken him back! That was despicable. What would've happened if Andrea hadn't sent Alex that email? They would've married and Niki would've been sad forever.
Two more things that I didn't like:
1. At the very, very end of the book I understood the reason why the author included chapters with Mauro, Stefano and Ella... But during the whole book I just kept wondering how the hell those people were!
and 2. The ending! the last 15% percent was I don't know, I felt like it was done in a rush. Moccia was very descriptive during the rest of the book, but after Elena came back it was all a rush... things kept happening super fast, one after the other. Boom, boom, boom. The end.
I thought that when Alex and Niki re-encounter it would be as magical. But no, it was so simple, there was no sweetness at all.

Good thing is (and I'm so excited about it!) there is a movie! Raoul Bova is super cute! That's kinda what I imagined Alessandro to be like (I say kinda, because for the first part of the book, before I even knew there was a movie I imagined somebody else *wink, wink*)

I don't know where I'm going to find the movie (checked Netflix...not there), but I will. I have to. Soon!
Rating:
Favorite character: Alex (I'll forgive him for taking Elena back)
Favorite secondary characterNiki (I liked Diletta)
Favorite part: I think the birthday's celebrations were pretty cool. I also enjoyed when Alex got the idea for LaLuna when Niki was sleeping.
Favorite quote: "Se quedan un momento en silencio -¿Alex? -¿Si? -Eso que estás pensando lo pienso yo también. -Y cuelga"
Least favorite character: ELENA!!!!!
Least favorite partFrom the moment Elena came back to the moment when he finds out that she was with Marcello. Also, the ending was not as good as I thought it would be

Would I read it again? Maybe. I'll read Scusa ma ti voglio sposare so, who knows?!

0 comments: