Popular Posts

My Shelf

Isela's bookshelf: read

To Kill a Mockingbird
Looking for Alaska
The Hobbit
An Abundance of Katherines
Anna and the French Kiss
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Horns
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Lightning Thief
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Killer Instinct
Paranoia
The Battle of the Labyrinth
'Salem's Lot
The Last Olympian
Eva Luna
Twilight
The House of the Spirits


Isela's favorite books »

About

I'm not a big fan of social networks. I'm a big believer in keeping things to yourself, privacy is important, it makes things special. However, I'm a huge literature fan. I'm always reading! And lately, I've discovered that I have too many ideas about books I've read that I can't share with anybody in real life. And it is not until I've put those ideas into sentences and paragraphs that I can continue successfully with my life. So, it's OK if no one reads this, and it's OK if someone reads and comments on this. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of some of my ideas :) Book recommendations are well received!
Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, April 19, 2014


I have read many books since This Star Won't Go Out, but I haven't had a lot of time to post about them. Also, this week was Easter week... which meant no school or job and a lot of free time!!
I read 4 books in six days, which is pretty good because I has four books behind schedule on my Goodreads reading challenge. I'm going to write a little bit about each of them. Hopefully, I'll have time soon to write about It's Kind of a Funny Story and Ask the Passengers.


Book Info
Name: Shatter Me (Shatter Me series #1)

Author: Tahereh Mafi
Date of Publication: November 15th, 2011



Shatter Me has a great story if you are into dystopian literature. However, the author’s writing style and annoying metaphors put me off a little bit. I think the characters are likable, but the author does not give the reader enough to get attached to them. Juliette is a nice character; she has a lot of conflicting past and an interesting future to explore. But the way Mafi portrays her or makes her talk is very annoying. Aside from her, I think Warmer was the one who was more well developed, or at least the most interesting. He is annoying as hell, but he is confident and mysterious so that is attractive. Adam is kind of plain, so there is not much to say about him. I loved Kenji. He's mysterious and at the beginning you don't really know what's going on with him. But at the end, he turns out to be the good guy! He also has a cool personality, I think.
The last part, though... when they get to this underground facility and everything is running miraculously well and things are wonderful and safe, that reminded me of Stephanie Meyer's The Host.
This book's part of a trilogy, and the cliffhanger is way too evident... but I don't think I'll read the other two books. At least not now. Though I have to admit that I'm curious to know why some people are shipping Juliette and Warner. So, maybe when I find myself with time to spare, I'll give Destroy Me a chance.


Rating: ★★
Favorite character: Kenji (is that weird? He's not even one of the main characters.)
Least favorite character: Warner (though I'm curious as to why people who have read the trilogy like him... what could've changed?)
(image from a-nudge.blogspot.com)
Favorite part: Hmmm...
Least favorite part: Every time Juliette started describing things and making these weird metaphors and just repeating word three times. That was just awful. Also, the her weird fixation with numbers and the author's decision of writing with numbers and not with letters. And finally... whatever happened to punctuation!
Favorite quote: "In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters."


0 comments: