Popular Posts

My Shelf

Isela's bookshelf: read

To Kill a Mockingbird
Looking for Alaska
The Hobbit
An Abundance of Katherines
Anna and the French Kiss
Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
Horns
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Mockingjay
Catching Fire
The Lightning Thief
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Killer Instinct
Paranoia
The Battle of the Labyrinth
'Salem's Lot
The Last Olympian
Eva Luna
Twilight
The House of the Spirits


Isela's favorite books »

About

I'm not a big fan of social networks. I'm a big believer in keeping things to yourself, privacy is important, it makes things special. However, I'm a huge literature fan. I'm always reading! And lately, I've discovered that I have too many ideas about books I've read that I can't share with anybody in real life. And it is not until I've put those ideas into sentences and paragraphs that I can continue successfully with my life. So, it's OK if no one reads this, and it's OK if someone reads and comments on this. What I'm trying to do is to get rid of some of my ideas :) Book recommendations are well received!
Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, December 27, 2014

It's been a long time since I wrote here... the end of the year: a time for being busy. But the thing is, I'm on vacations now, which is indeed a good thing because I got to finish my GoodReads challenge (50 books in 365 days and I got time to read one or two more!).


And because it is the end of the year I'd like to review my year in books... In chronological order, here they are!

The Shining by Stephen King
The Shining - Stephen King

Rating:
Favorite character: Danny
Favorite part: I'm not sure if I have a favorite part... the thing was freaking scary! But I think the part where the dad (can't remember his name) went to cut the animal-shaped hedges and they moved...wtf!?
Least favorite character: How about the freaking dead lady in the bathtub!!
Least favorite part: When Danny goes into room 217 and finds the lady and he tries to go back out and he can't so he tries to calm down, but as he is doing so she touches his shoulder!! O.O
Would I read it again? Probably yes... not any time soon, though
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David LevithanWill Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green & David Levithan 


Rating:
Favorite character: Tiny Cooper... obviously! Favorite secondary character: Will Grayson (the straight one)
Favorite part: I'm pretty sure my favorite part was at the end of Tiny's musical when all the people start standing up and saying their names :S
Favorite quote: Maybe there's something you're afraid to say, or someone you're afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters..”
Least favorite character: Maura... she's a bitch!
Would I read it again? Yes, Yes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsMiss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs


Rating:
Favorite character: Miss Peregrine Favorite secondary character Emma (though is kind of weird that she wants to have something with Jacob when she was in love with his grandpa...) and Millard (he's freaking invisible!)
Favorite part: The idea of the book is really good, and I've read really terrible comments about it. Yeah, I get it, the book's not a masterpiece but it has time-travelling and magic and supernatural stuff... I think my favorite part was when Jacob's in the island discovering all about his grandpa's past.
Favorite quote: “I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was."
Least favorite character: Hollows/hollowgasts
Least favorite part: When he's deciding what to do... and he picks the option I didn't want him to!! Ugh it made me so angry! But I get it, there wouldn't be a sequel if he hadn't chosen to save Miss Peregrine and the others.
Would I read it again? Yes, I actually have to in order to read Hollow City... otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Spectacular Now by Tim TharpThe Spectacular Now - Tim Tharp

Rating:
Favorite character: Aimee (who in the movie is played by Shailene Woodley!!)
Favorite part: ... can't remember. The thing is that Sutter is so annoying, that I can't really remember anything good or outstanding from the book. I guess that when he was really himself with Aimee was probably my kinda favorite part (?)
Favorite quote: "
You think, 'Here's something I can hold on to,' but it always slips away."
Least favorite character:
Sutter (who in the movie is played by Miles Teller :3)
Would I read it again? I don't think so. But I would watch the movie again!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein



Rating: (5 stars that destroyed my little heart)
Favorite character: Enzo
Favorite secondary characterDenny
Favorite part: omg, the ending! So freaking adorable :3
Favorite quote: "
You should shine with all of your light all the time."
Least favorite character: The in-laws who want to keep Zöe and the stupid teenage relative who accused him of rape...ugh!
Least favorite part: legal battle... it made me so miserable! and of course when Eve died :'(
Would I read it again? Yep, definitely!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars - John Green

Rating: (Should be 10 stars because I read it twice this year... my favorite book)
Favorite character: Hazel Grace + Gus (don't make me choose!)
Favorite secondary characterIsaac!
Favorite part: Dinner in Amsterdam
Favorite quote: So many... but I think my #1 is: "
I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."
Least favorite character: Cancer? I kinda liked Van Houten, so...
Least favorite part: When Gus goes out in the middle of the night to get cigarettes and he gets really sick and has to call Hazel :(
Would I read it again? Yes, of course. Every February!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paper Towns by John GreenPaper Towns - John Green

Rating: ★★★★★
Favorite character:
Quentin Jacobsen
Favorite secondary character:
Marcus 'Radar' Lincoln
Favorite part:
While I love the road trip from Orlando to Agloe, I feel that Quentin finding out the comment on Omnictionary and deciding not going to graduation and having his friends going with him is my favorite part.
Favorite quote:
Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will… but then again, if you don’t imagine, nothing ever happens at all. Imagining isn’t perfect. You can’t get all the way inside someone else… But imagining being someone else, or the world being something else, is the only way in. It is the machine that kills the fascists
Least favorite character:
I'm tempted to say Margo, but part of me feels that she is special, we just don't get to see her. So, I'm going to say Margo's parents. They do seem to be very annoying.
Least favorite part: Pretty much every time Q went to a subdivision and thought we would find Margo's body. That sucked.

Would I read it again? I have to read it again before watching the movie :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

This Star Won't Go Out by Esther EarlThis Star Won't Go Out - Esther Earl

Rating: ★★★★
Favorite character: Esther Grace Earl! Obviously.
Favorite part: Every time she would say how important her family was for her during all of the horrible things she went through. There is one part in which she writes a letter to her father and includes little things she remembers about everybody in her family... I loved that part.
Favorite quote:
“Do my words make sense? Whenever I write something and then reread it, it makes little sense. Maybe I'm just too smart for my own brain”
Least favorite part: Her death. I know we're meant to accept death as something natural, especially when someone is ill. And I knew that she died, and while reading the book I could feel it coming. But it sucked. Big time. I'm just happy that I can learn something from my least favorite part of the book.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned VizziniIt's Kind of a Funny Story - Ned Vizzini

Rating:
Favorite character:
Craig
Favorite secondary character
Noelle and Bobby (was his name Bobby?)
Favorite part:
I'm sure I had one, but honestly, I can't remember :S
Favorite quote:
Life can't be cured, but it can be managed.”
Least favorite character:
Nia and the rest of his "friends"
Would I read it again? If I ever get the chance... yes, why not.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ask the Passengers by A.S. KingAsk the Passengers - A.S. King

Rating: ★★
Favorite character: Astrid
Favorite secondary character: 
Socrates/Frank
Favorite part:
...I know I rated the book with 4 stars, but I can't remember why. Favorite quote: You have to let people get to know you before you decide they don't like you.
Least favorite character:
Astrid's family, so not supportive -_-

Would I read it again? Mmmm....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shatter Me by Tahereh MafiShatter Me - Tahereh Mafi

Rating: ★★  
Favorite character: Kenji (is that weird? He's not even one of the main characters.)
Least favorite character: Warner (though I'm curious as to why people who have read the trilogy like him... what could've changed?)
 Favorite part: Hmmm...
Least favorite part: Every time Juliette started describing things and making these weird metaphors and just repeating word three times. That was just awful. Also, her weird fixation with numbers and the author's decision of writing with numbers and not with letters. And finally... whatever happened to punctuation!
Favorite quote: "In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters."


Would I read it again?  I want to read the second book in the trilogy, but I'm not sure if it is worthy enough to reread Shatter Me...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of Mice and Men by John SteinbeckOf Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

Rating: ★★★★
Favorite character:
George Milton (the way he took care of Lennie, but at the same time he was an optimistic and realistic person... I loved that)
Favorite secondary character: Candy
Favorite part: That time when George, Lennie and Candy were all making plans to get the land and build a house and simply be free. That was optimistic!
Favorite quote:
“I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you, and that's why.”
Least favorite character: Curley's wife...
Least favorite part: Well, obviously the end, when Lennie accidentally kills the puppy and that woman comes and just messes everything else up. Though, by killing the puppy, Lennie knew he was in trouble.
 Would I read it again? Yes!

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reclaiming the Sand by A. Meredith Walters Reclaiming the Sand - A. Meredith Walters



Rating: ★★★★★
Favorite character: Ellie
Favorite secondary character: Murphy (OMG!! At the moment Flynn told Ellie his dog had died I knew Murphy was going to end up in Flynn's house... I just thought Ellie was going to think about it before he went to he shelter.)
Favorite part: There are a lot of parts I really, REALLY liked, but I think the moment when Ellie goes to Flynn's and finds Murphy there, they play together and then they lie on the grass (yay, Flynn!) and then kiss... that's my fave part :3
Favorite quote: “Some people came into your life and they changed it completely and then they slipped out of it again before you could grab ahold of them. And their presence motivates you and strengthens you and devastates you all at the same time.”
Least favorite character: Dania... and Ellie a little bit. OK, confusing. Let me explain. I hated Dania most of the book, she was poisonous for Ellie. But I also despised  Ellie for giving in to Dania's plans every time! It was really annoying.
Least favorite part: Pretty much every chapter that was from Flynn's POV. The bullying was just heartbreaking. It made me hate Dania (even more), Stu and Shane!


Would I read it again? Yes... I have to, because I just found out that there's a sequel! :D It's called Chasing the Tide and it was published like 10 days ago! (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21914535-chasing-the-tide)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I Stay by Gayle FormanIf I Stay - Gayle Forman




Rating: ★★★★★
Favorite character: Mia
Favorite secondary character: Mia's family. Her parents are cool and understanding, and Teddy is adorable :')
Favorite part: I loved the book and have a lot of favorite parts... but I think my most favorite part is when Mia and her family have the barbecue on that holiday that I don't remember right now... At night, they were around the fire and started playing the guitars and then asked her if she could play the cello with them. I love that part.
Favorite quote: “Sleep would be so welcome. A warm blanket of black to erase everything else. Sleep without dreams. I've heard people talk about the sleep of the dead. Is that what death would feel like? The nicest, warmest, heaviest never-ending nap? If that's what it's like, I wouldn't mind. If that's what dying is like, I wouldn't mind that at all.”
Least favorite character:
Least favorite part: The accident was terrible, just awful... the way the author describes the state they are all in is way too real. Also, the part when she realizes Teddy is dead. That part broke my heart.

Would I read it again? Maybe, yes...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1375414895l/17851885.jpgI Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai


Rating:
Favorite character:
Malala
Favorite secondary character: 
Malala's dad
Favorite part:
I think the ending was my favorite part... kinda happy, after all the stuff that she had to go through.
Favorite quote:
Let us pick up our books and our pens,” I said. “They are our most powerful weapons. One child, one teacher, one book and one pen can change the world.
Would I read it again? No. It gets four stars basically because she was/is so freaking brave and her story is inspiring. But I'm not very fond of memoirs...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why We Broke Up by Daniel HandlerWhy We Broke Up - Daniel Handler

Rating:
Favorite character:
Mmm... Min's friend?
Favorite part:
When I realized I had finished the book? Nah, let me see... The coat. There was something about a coat, like an inside joke, but I can't quite remember what it was.
Favorite quote:
the times linking up like snowflakes into a blizzard we made ourselves in a favorite winter
Least favorite character:
Min, definitely
Least favorite part:
Every single part where she was complaining and whining!

Would I read it again? Oh God, no. Never in my life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketThe Bad Beginnings and The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events 1 and 2) - Lemony Snicket (Daniel Handler)
  
I'm going to review them both together because of reasons. I think the only difference is the rating.



The Reptile Room by Lemony SnicketRating (TBB): (TRR) Holy crap, I just realized all the titles repeat the letters... how freaking cool! I still find unbelievable that this same guy wrote Why We Broke Up
Favorite character:
Violet
Favorite secondary character: 
Klaus and Sunny
Favorite part:
My favorite parts in both the books is when they think they're going to get away, but Count Olaf counterattacks! And trust me, those kids are genius, so it's not easy to defeat them.
Favorite quote:
From TRR, Never, under any circumstances, let the Virginian wolfsnake near a typewriter.
Least favorite character:
Count Olaf
Would I read it again? I'll try to finish all 11 books I have left in the series and then I'll think about it. Though I could probably read The Reptile Room again soon :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2)Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss #2) - Stephanie Perkins

Rating:
Favorite character:
Lola
Favorite secondary character: 
Lola's gay parents
Favorite part:
I couldn't help but fangirl over the fact that Anna and Etienne show up in this book :3  
Favorite quote: I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.
Least favorite character:
Calliope, thought I ended up liking her.
Least favorite part:
Aww, when Lola remembers her past with the Bells
Would I read it again? Yes, yes, yes... I'd read the Anna/Lola/Isla trilogy a million times and never get tired of it!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summer Sisters by Judy Blume



Summer Sisters - Judy Blume



Rating:
Favorite character:
Vix
Favorite part:
Most of her memories about the summers, of course.
Favorite quote:
What's the point of thinking about how it's going to end when it's just the beginning?
Least favorite character:
Caitlin
Least favorite part:
Well, when Caitlin asks her to go to Venice and then she doesn't come back... confusing and sad!
Would I read it again? Probably... But I'm more interested in reading other Judy Blume's

OK, enough for now. I'll  finish with the rest of the books in part II :)

0 comments: